- REAL banner
REAL - Relevant Engaging Active Learning!
- Mrs Baldwin - Head of REAL
- Mrs Sanders - Head of REAL (Curriculum)
- Mr Heather - Year 7/8 Teaching Staff
- Mr Davison - Director of Learning Year 8 Curriculum/Pastoral care
- Mr Nicoll - Year 7/8 Teaching Staff
- Mrs Underdown - Gifted and Talented KS3
- Miss Midwinter - Student Support Manager
The aims of REAL:
- To develop a learning community that prides itself on academic rigour, emotional wellbeing, social cohesiveness and mutual respect.
- To develop a curriculum that personalises the learning experience for our students.
- To engage students in the learning process so that they understand why they need to take responsibility for their own learning.
- To utilise new technologies to help support students learning.
- To ensure the integration of a creative and effective assessment for learning strategy across the key stage.
- To promote and engage with every child matters agenda.
We would like students to:
- feel valued both as a learner and a person.
- learn skills to help them to succeed in their future lives.
- be proud both of their achievements and themselves.
- show respect and to take responsibility for the things they do.
Keeping it REAL
Imagine a school within a school; small enough for students to be part of a human-scale learning community rather than lost within a large, anonymous crowd.
Imagine a learning community where your child is taught by the same teacher for more than 60% of the time during their first year at secondary school, rather than being confronted with a dozen different members of staff, a dozen different rooms and dozen different sets of expectations.
Imagine a curriculum which prides itself on developing emotional security, respect and social wellbeing just as much as it prides itself on academic rigour and achievement.
Imagine a course that stresses the importance of skills and their transferability between subjects and tasks to prepare students for their future employability.
Imagine a curriculum that builds subject content into relevant and realistic activities that relate to the real world so that they make sense to your child.
Imagine a learning community that wants to help students feel happy and valued as learners as well as people; to be proud of their achievements and themselves.
Imagine a curriculum that aims to help students become independent and confident learners so that they engage in, and take control of, their own learning.
Imagine all of this with a proven track record (after six years of development) of improving academic performance, student engagement and enjoyment.
Don't imagine... it's REAL!
Relevant Engaging Active Learning
Only at Hugh Christie Technology College