Mrs R Pearce - Director of Learning for Languages, Teacher of Spanish and German
- Mrs L Wilford - Teacher of French
The study of a modern language should broaden students' horizons and encourage them to step beyond familiar cultural boundaries. Just one in four of the world's population speak English, which means having another language will give your child countless opportunities to meet new people, gain new friends and network. It is reported that close to seven in ten teenagers say they'd like to work abroad at some point and the study of a language could help them in almost any career and open up opportunities at home and abroad. At Hugh Christie we offer courses in French, Spanish and German
Pupils in Year 7 and Year 8 follow the French Expo 1 & 2 Course books or the Spanish Mira 1 & 2 course books.
Parallel to the Syllabus, Pupils have the opportunity to carry out projects and access our ICT facilities on a rotation basis.
French, German or Spanish are taught at Hugh Christie.
Assessments take place at the end of every term.
- Year 7 students will learn how to understand and give personal details about themselves, their school, pastimes, where they live, family and holidays across listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Year 8 students will learn how to apply listening, speaking, reading and writing skills within the context of technology, a description of a trip to Paris, leisure and local areas.
The Spanish, French and German options are only open to those who are currently studying Spanish, French and German in Year 8. Students can opt to continue with the language they chose in Year 7. The course is a three year GCSE course. The aim of the course is to develop language skills in a variety of contexts and builds on the knowledge acquired during Key Stage 3.
We will be studying the AQA GCSE. The GCSE topics are: Lifestyle, Leisure, Home and Environment and Work and Education. The exam consists of four papers.
Listening paper - 25%
Reading paper - 25%
Speaking paper – 25%
Writing paper - 25%
- Pupils study the Spanish Mira, the French Expo or the German Echo course books.
- Year 9 will be applying the four core skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) within the context of keeping in touch with friends, healthy lifestyle, future plans, holidays and teh environment.
- Year 10 & 11 GCSE course builds upon topics covered at KS3 to increase vocabulary, confidence and fluency. Topics covered range from their personal relationships, holidays and tourism, healthy living, the world of work, the environment and future, career plans.
Before the end of the academic year, Year 7 students have the opportunity to visit Boulogne.
Residential trips to France, Spain and Germany are offered to all year groups studying a language.