The Skills Centre
The Skills Centre is an alternative curriculum provision based at Hugh Christie. The key contact for The Skills Centre is Mr Justin Sheppard.
Aims of The Skills Centre
- To provide high quality provision in which students are empowered to make choices which will ensure that they are enjoying and achieving in a supportive environment. We will generate pride, support and confidence in a team that is focused and motivated to achieve the very best for the students.
- To work with students who are at risk of permanent exclusion or non-attendance to help them build resilience to return to mainstream education in the short and medium term.
The curriculum needs to be personalised to meet the needs of every student to achieve.
During their time at The Skills Centre, all students will access:
- GCSE English Language with the aim they make at least expected progress.
- GCSE Mathematics with the aim they make at least expected progress.
- ASDAN to develop skills and confidence
- Learning Plus where a personalised curriculum is devised to meet the needs of each student.
- ECDL with the aim of gaining an internationally recognized business ICT qualification.
- Improving behaviour course*
- Careers advice and guidance*
- Access to counselling (where appropriate)*
- Opportunities to participate in sport (to take place before or after one timetabled session)
*sessions organised by arrangement